"Fermentation is a transformation that bubbles rather than burns... it recycles life, renews hope, and goes on and on... envision yourself as an agent for change, creating agitation, releasing bubbles of transformation." -S.E. Katz

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Kefir !


I've been making kefir just about every day recently. The process is wonderfully easy...add some kefir grains (get some from a friend or online) to a jar of cow or goat milk (raw is best if you can find it), and let it sit overnight. This is a fermentation that benefits from a little warmth, and I've found that putting the jar on a seedling warming mat does just the trick, keeping it warm on these chilly fall nights. In the morning, pour the brew through a strainer to separate out the kefir grains, and start sipping on the deliciously tangy probiotic wonder that is Kefir ! Here's a picture of the grains....You can use the same grains to brew batch after batch and they will multiply.....

1 comment:

  1. Hi I am new to kefir making. Everything was going along great after I recd my grains from an organic e dairy farm in Maine. Then one batch didnt thicken after 48 hours. I thought maybe it was the cooler temps in my cabinet, where I keep the bottle. So...I tried again and kept it out on the kitchen table. The same thing occurred. Some action but no thickening. Any ideas? Iam going to let this batch go for another 24 hours and see

    ReplyDelete